Thursday, April 3, 2008

April Fool's and a blog name

Why Mayonnaise Sandwich I was reasonably asked the other day? Because it was a central cooking ingredient in much of my family's cooking. The other key ingredients for most of our cooking: bacon grease, salt, white cornmeal, salt, corn oil. Green Beans? Through in a spoonful of bacon grease. Frying something? Liquify the grease, dip it in corn meal, and presto - guaranteed yummy food. When I was pregnant with my kids, I would have been happy to only eat these five things all day, everyday. I also craved things like sweet potatoes, watermelon, and collard greens. I prefer to think that it was my body crying out for some basic vitamin, instead of some warped DNA.

Hubby dear got me good for April Fool's. First, he said, "Hillary dropped out." I believed him, and you would think my defenses would be up. Not ten minutes later, he said, "Monkey Boy (child #2) wants a haircut today." I should have KNOWN that was a whopper, since Monkey Boy has announced he will only cut his hair once a year, and he isn't "ready yet." I told him he should just go ahead and grow it out for Locks of Love at this point, or we can start making dredlocks. He doesn't appreciate my suggestions.

Guess what??? I relived my childhood: On YouTube, I watched Captain Caveman, Isis and Shazaam, Plasticman, He-Man, Shamoo, and the Archies. I am going to see if they have old issues of Soap and Logan's Run there, too. Maybe some good Afterschool Specials. My kids thought Thundarr the Barbarian should still be around.

No comments: