Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Good things, bad things...

So, I am a bit at a loss of things to write about, but then people just start dumping stuff in my lap. First of all, here is my happy thing of the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D85yrIgA4Nk&feature=related


World peace through animals!!!!

Then, my "neighborhood" newspaper arrived. And there was an editorial about homeschooling. Normally, I try to treat this like childbirth, religious faith, and marriage, if you figure out something that works for you, even if it would be the last thing I would ever do, I should probably keep my mouth shut. However, I am busily constructing my soapbox right now.

In case you didn't know this, we are homeschooling the kids. That is a very generous WE. Stefan has assembled a solar system kit for me which somehow has come to include a red plastic elephant. Daniel, our little throbbing brain, said, "That big one is Jupiter!" Huh? Too much Interplanet Janet, clearly.

The primary reason we are doing homeschool this year is because we are living in an area where public schools are not an option. And, as the product to a certain degree of private schools, I will never, ever, ever send my kids to private school if there is another option. So, homeschool it is. For the most part, I have loved it, and the kids seem to be calmer and more balanced than ever. We have had the most amazing discussions about very heavy topics - the meaning of the Preamble, consumerism, failure to vote, why unicorns don't exist, etc. They have been allowed to pursue their own interests, which has resulted in Isabel's obsession with the First Families (particularly, First ladies. We have read every book offered about them in 3 separate library systems. Today, she told me that only one of James Garfield's female children survived to adulthood. I have not verified this.)

Anyway, back to my soapbox. With religion, childbirth, and education, the thing that makes me crazy is when people don't think about it. For me, at least, the easiest choice is rarely the best choice, and I am always happier when I can chew and think about something before I decide to do it. It usually ends up better.

Anyway, back to the editorial: Here is the quote given, which I have NOT verified:

Who said, "A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism, and loyalty to the state."

a) The commissar of education in the former Soviet Union.
b) The minister of education for the government of Communist China.
c) Adolph Hitler
d. Justice H. Walter Croskey of California Court of Appeals.

The answer is d, in case it wasn't obvious. For those of you who might have missed Arnold Schwarznegger pontificating on it, California has recently made it illegal to homeschool if one of the parents doesn't have a teaching license. Failure to comply can result in having your kids' taken away from you. I hope there are more requirements than a dearth of standardized testing, but it isn't clear yet. Anyway, if the quote alone doesn't make you scream, then think about the ramifications of that statement. I know that I personally hope that those 3 elements are not even on my child's teacher's list of top 10. True, I want my children to learn to observe traffic laws, respect the political office even if they don't respect the holder of the office, and not to be ashamed to be an American. What I WANT the schools to teach is reading, writing, and independent thinking. I would argue that they have not done as good a job in those subjects, much less the real things like critical thinking, effective communication, common sense, etc. EGAD. No wonder the schools don't work! Is this judge even aware some of the best leaders we have had never even set foot in school? And they sure weren't being taught those three issues! And the repercussions? Removing a child in placing him/her in foster care is said to be considered the psychological equivalent of being raised by two chronically schizophrenic parents. Parents are CONSTANTLY being held accountable for every ill in society, and parent who choose to home school are clearly not picking the easy path and are taking on extra responsibility. Your kid can't add? Only myself to blame. Ugh. I don't really need anything from you, my beloved friends and readers, except for what you have given me. An opportunity to scream at bureaucracy.

Till then, I feel better.

No comments: